Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Final Project Prospectus - Lady Mary's Travel Blog


Melanie and I are interested in working with Lady Mary Wortley Montagu’s The Turkish Embassy Letters. We thought of ways we could bring her experience “to life” for a 21st century reader. Lady Mary recorded her experiences and later crafted these recordings into epistles. We decided we will have Lady Mary blog and tweet her experiences as if she was traveling in the 21st century. This is why we decided that our digital project would mostly consist of a travel blog and that we would experiment with various medias, like Twitter, YouTube, and Google maps, to track Lady Mary’s travels to and in Turkey. We will use a 21st century “voice” while making sure that all the facts and details remain true to the letters.
In the travel blog, we will devote a small portion to blogging Lady Mary’s travels in Europe before she arrives in Turkey. The rest of the blogs will be detailed accounts of her adventures in Turkey. In these blogs, we will add links to any images, music samples, information, etc., that Lady Mary references so that readers can see and hear what Lady Mary would have experienced herself. The blogs will be “reflections” of Lady Mary’s trip, whereas Twitter will be more of an “in the moment” experience. We will be using the letters in the edition we’ve been reading for class.
We feel that this project is necessary because from a 21st century reader’s perspective, it’s difficult to comprehend an 18th century experience without understanding the references being made. We know that Lady Mary traveled around a lot, so we want to track where she traveled, which places she visits, the people she meets, the music she hears, the food she eats, the art she sees, etc., in order to visualize her travels. When we visualize Lady Mary’s travels within a 21st century medium, we’re allowing her experiences to come to life in the way that we would understand traveling today. Our project then might bring light to an experience that has been only read in the past, and not “experienced” interactively. This is why we think this project is uniquely suited for an Internet environment. The English discipline is headed towards a very digital future, and the way we are reading today is different from how we have read in the past. We hope that by bringing Lady Mary’s experience to “life” in a way that 21st century readers would understand it, we draw awareness to the fact that 18th century novels were also forms of experience for contemporary readers. Lady Mary’s record of her travels is equivalent to the 21st century travel blog.
We’ve done some research and we couldn’t find anything similar to our project. We couldn’t even find a Lady Mary literary profile on Twitter…except someone apparently named their cat after Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and created a Twitter account for her – and she is now following us on Twitter. We’re still angry at the cat for taking our username!

Please see Melanie’s blog post for more information on this project! :) 

8 comments:

  1. Really useful and informative stuff has been shared
    Hotel Booking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog, and get nice info. Your blog is so informative and has a nice importance for their site users. Good work and thanks for nice sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really helped me to understand travel. It has great details that are easy to understand. It also has great tips. This post is simple but great! I recommend it for all travel lovers. I am also a tourist and planning a washington bus tours in coming vacations with my family. I think your provided information is very helpful for my next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turkey is one of the most famous and beautiful Muslim countries. It has many attractions for the visitors such as Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Ephesus, Hagia Sophia Museum and Pamukkale. I used to visit these attraction last year and next month I am going with cherry blossom tours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, David I agree Turkey is a nice place to see. I also have been visited there about a year ago with my family before my us west coast tours. We had a lot of fun there this region has a wide range of historical sights. One place that we like there is "Bodrum Castle " it is located in the city of Bodrum in southwest Turkey. It tell us about the history of this region.

      Delete
    2. Howard Henry! I did not use to visit Bodrum Castle in my Turkey tour and now I am interested to know about this Castle because it sounds amazing attraction to learn about history. Can you provide me details about this place?

      Delete
  5. I really impressed to know all the travel experiences. I am also a visitor and I use to visit number of countries. In my past year I got a great experience of Turkey before my grand canyon bus tour from la and see the most mosques there. Turkey is one of the best country and invite a wide range of peoples each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey IIoyd I am jANI! You right Turkey is one of the best countries for visiting. Turkey has various destinations for visiting. Istanbul is the largest and beautiful city in this country. I visit in Istanbul before my tour los angeles las vegas grand canyon san Francisco with my business partner. The Sultan Ahmed Mosque, Grand Bazaar and Süleymaniye Mosque are the major tourist attraction in this city. If you again chance to go in Turkey so you must visit in Island and go in these places. I hope you like it.

      Delete